Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winter Dreams of Spring Gardens


The Creative Shrub Garden: Eye-Catching Combinations for Year-Round Interest Hardcover – July 29, 2014



I was at my local library today where the head librarian creates a rotating display of interesting books based on a theme - holiday, author, genre, how to subject, etc. I always look through this display and gardening was the topic this week.  I saw this book, The Creative Shrub Garden, and had to get it.   I mean what else have I been dreaming about these cold winter nights but spring and flowers.

So many books are printed as soft cover books on less expensive paper these days.  I'm sure it due in part to the cost of book production and also the number of e-books being sold.  I was delighted to get the hard cover copy of this book with 248 gorgeous pages of shrubs on slick, glossy paper.  I'm one of those people who likes shrubs.  I've always planted a good many around my yard, like using heavy furniture to anchor a room.

What I like about this book is the scenarios it gives you for Mood related designs (Cool and calming - Indulgent - Mellow and glowing - Reflective - Warm and relaxing -Uplifting) or Style related designs (Coastal - Cottage Garden - Country garden - Exotic - Mediterranean - Japanese - Tropical  - Urban contemporary).

I read a couple of the book reviews on Amazon and one complaint is that the writer has written for England and there is no zone number for American strategy.  It generally got a four-star rating but I'd give it a five just for the happiness it brought me.

The book is expensive about $21.43 and up for the hard bound.  It's not really a reference book but it is big and pretty and full of bright ideas for Spring.  If you have a serious collection of garden books already, you may not need this book for the information value as much as the delight of picking it up off the coffee table to peruse.  

As for me, I have it for 3 weeks from the library and then another 3 weeks if no one reserves it.  If you don't hear much from me in the future, you know what I'll be up to.

 




3 comments:

  1. I have finally learned that I like the fantacies of the garden books much more than the reality of the actual garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is that time of year, isn't it? The time we start dreaming of gardens and flowers. I do the same with home design books/magazines/blogs. I enjoy looking at the pretty photos of beautiful homes, not because I expect mine will ever look like them, but just for the pleasure it brings to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an inspirational book. I find myself "reading" every seed catalogue that finds it's way to my mailbox at this time of year -- even though I've no intention of ordering their seeds!

    ReplyDelete