Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Sunday, March 1, 2015

Snow-Bound by John Greenleaf Whittier

I was reading today's post from Cynthia at I'm Retired -- Adventures of a Simpler Life.  There  was a beautiful picture of a Daffodil and a lovely quote from John Greenleaf Whittier.  That reminded me how much I liked Whittier.  You know I'm a big library patron.  I still love to read books but I couldn't wait, I had to look him up on the internet. What did I do before the internet.  I would have had to wait weeks to see what all he wrote. I guess the kids are not the only ones hooked on modern technology.

Here is a little something I particularly like and is very appropriate for the current weather.

From “Snow-Bound”

By John Greenleaf Whittier


THE WORLD TRANSFORMED

UNWARMED by any sunset light      
The gray day darkened into night,      
A night made hoary with the swarm   
And whirl-dance of the blinding storm,        
As zigzag, wavering to and fro,         
Crossed and recrossed the wingëd snow:      
And ere the early bedtime came
The white drift piled the window-frame,       
And through the glass the clothes-line posts 
Looked in like tall and sheeted ghosts.         

So all night long the storm roared on: 
The morning broke without a sun;      
In tiny spherule traced with lines        
Of Nature’s geometric signs,    
In starry flake, and pellicle,                
All day the hoary meteor fell;   
And, when the second morning shone,         
We looked upon a world unknown,   
On nothing we could call our own.     
Around the glistening wonder bent              
The blue walls of the firmament,        
No cloud above, no earth below,—    
A universe of sky and snow!    
The old familiar sights of ours  
Took marvellous shapes; strange domes and towers                  

      


1 comment: