Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Thursday, March 26, 2015

Yeah. I'm Healthier than I thought - so far.



Thanks to Medicare I've started a new round of doctor appointments.  I looked through the book of doctors who take Medicare and picked out a new internist. Monday I had my first appointment.  I hate going to new doctors and starting all over with my medical history but I did it because as a diabetic I have to keep this monitored.  I had no idea if I would like this woman - I picked a female physician.  I had no idea how long she would keep her patients waiting, etc., etc.

She didn't keep me waiting long.  She was very nice and understood that I just wanted to start at the top and work our way to my toes.  She ran the first set of tests and look/feels and everything seemed to go pretty well.  Some results won't be back until next week when I go to get the chest x-ray, bone density, mamo and whatever else she can think of.

I went to a stranger, no recommendation from any others and I just didn't know what I would find.  She had a very nice office, quiet and dignified, and she was everything I had hoped for.  Intelligent, informative, comforting and really seemed to want to give me a home to come back to.  Score One for my team.

Then Wednesday I went to the eye doctor/surgeon.  Again, picked a name out of the book.  Another female.  I really liked her.  She confirmed my cataract, which I already knew I had and said that I had no problem with my eyes from the diabetes.  I did find out that I had a cataract in the right eye also, which I didn't know.  She said the left eye is so bad I didn't realize how bad the right eye was.  She also said that after they fixed the left eye I would be so happy that I'd be more than ready to do the right.  So I am encouraged.  I go back on June 25 for a pre-surgery meeting.

They are still plenty of reports to come back that can be on the not so great side, but I am encouraged.  I will be glad to get the rest of the tests and all the results back.  Yeah.  I was dreading this for so long, and it's looking good for the home team.  I can't tell you how relieved I am.




6 comments:

  1. SO far so good. You were lucky in picking doctors you can stay with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky. I was prepared to go through several before I found a keeper. I was determined to find one I liked and could stay with for the long run. I get really cranky when I have to sit and wait in the reception room and then wait again in the exam room. That, of course, makes my blood pressure go up and then I get a lecture about that. Oh well, we do the best we can do.

      Delete
  2. Good News!. I hear the cataract surgery will also be a benefit something like lasik as well as removing the cataract.
    So you'll be seeing 20/20 again in that eye.Then after your 2nd you may only need readers. That has been the experience of my friends anyway. I have yet to move to this point yet. I hope they are all correct.
    See so there is one thing good about getting older. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me a long time to get the courage to address the eye problem. I'm a chicken about surgery but I feel really good after meeting with this doctor. That's a good thing because the wrong doctor could have put me off the surgery completely. And yes, I was the kid that it took two nurses to hold down for a blood test. Now I'm diabetic - I wonder if those nurses wished that upon me. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I'm doing all these things next week, and hopefully I'll have good results, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a relief to get it over with. I know you have been good about getting your regular check-ups. I think I will be doing better now that I've got a good couple of doctors.

      Delete