Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Friday, April 24, 2015

Decluttering follow-up

Confession is good for the soul, so as soon as I finished the last post, I went in to see exactly what those items were that lay hidden under the clothes I actually did wear.


( Photo doesn't have anything to do with this post 
except for the baby clothes I have stashed in my drawer - 
when he was just this size)

First, I pulled out all those shirts and short that had been retained as yard work clothes.  Most were actually in very good condition so I bagged them for the thrift shop and walked them to the car.

I find I have to actually carry something to the car while I am on a roll or it doesn't make it to the thrift shop.  If it only gets as far as the backyard - usually ends up in garbage.  If it makes it to the garage it will live there until the next major garage clean up.  And I do like a clean garage so I try not to hoard stuff in there.

I also pulled out two winter night gowns and two sweat pants and put them in the winter clothes container.  Now my drawers were really looking empty.

I did not pack up the jogging bra, slip or grandson's baby clothes.  I guess they represent something to me that I keep holding on to, aside from the grandson, of course.  But I'll be darned if I know what.  Anyhow, I'm feeling pretty proud.

Now if someone would just tell me how to keep the dust and dog dander out of the air. I run two of those Holmes air cleaners from time to time and I can really tell the difference when I close off a room, but I want one of those big daddy suck all the air out of the room, filter it and return it to me clean.  Any suggestions?



14 comments:

  1. I used to run them. They didn't stop the hay fever, but the filters in them got pretty disgusting, so I knew they were doing the job. We just got 2 Bissell 'power edge' pet-recommended small vacs...$50 each on Amazon. One for upstairs, one for down. Five minute sweep by each (we have mostly laminate flooring)...and it keeps dust and fur fluff at bay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, I looked at those but the shape was so strange I didn't know if they would really work. I think I might have to try one. Right now Buddy is still shedding - Lord help me - and he hates to be bathed. I also thought about one of those steam mops. I have hardwoods. Do you think the vacuum would work better than steam mop? I guess you have to get the hair up before you can mop. Hum. Good thing I love that little guy.

      Delete
  2. I've never used air cleaners. I should with 2 Basset Hounds and a cat in the house. Good going on the clothes! I get the garage thing. I need to stop putting things in there thinking my hubby will deal with them. He doesn't unless I ask. Our garage is atrocious right now. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm please with the air cleaners but I want major clean air. With all the respiratory problems and now I'm well enough for my allergies to act up, I felt like I haven't had a clean breath of air in forever.

      Delete
  3. We're decluttering this wknd by loading up a car full of stuff to take to the church rummage sale. Unfortunately, it barely makes a dent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a church garage sale. It helps you over the hump. "Maybe I shouldn't get rid of this, there is nothing wrong, but I haven't touched it in two years..." Then you think, benefits the house, benefits the church and benefits someone who needs it, they will get a good deal. Save all the way around.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I guess one of the secrets is....... Don't put stuff elsewhere.... Like in a garage.

    Here, I don't want to and can't. our garage is for our car on one side, and the other side is his work shop. which he is always trying to get/keep neat. REally trying... So he gets lots and lots of gold stars!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boundaries. If you're not allowed to junk the garage up you won't even consider it. I think when we were young we wanted to get out there get a home, a family, accumulate - and then the American dream swallowed us up in debt and knick knacks. Now I look back and see there was a truth to it, but we bit into the slice of America pie too much. Oh well, that's why we get so smart as we age. We can see the past much clearer.

      Delete
  5. I have to do the same thing....bag things and put them in the car. Then I still dig through them again sometimes! lol But usually I don't miss the clothes I donate. It feels good to go through the closet and drawers and get rid of things we don't wear....pass them on! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I get hesitant about cleaning up and donating but there are so many less fortunate. I've read some interesting articles about how donations trickle down to places like Africa. I wish I could find that article to share. It was encouraging about how our donations keep getting resold and that made small business for the people in third-world countries. I didn't want just some nameless company to get all the benefit.

      Delete
  6. I try to follow the new one in, old one out rule. I attach little sentimental value to things so I have an easy time with the periodic purges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the in/out theory. Then if you are sentimental about something - clothes or knick knacks - you get the choice of keeping one thing over another - but there still has to be an out.

      Delete
  7. Decluttering is a work in progress! I find it gets easier with time. I realize I do not need the object to keep the memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You have to come to that realization for yourself. Objects are not the memory. But some objects are so beautiful you keep them as decorations to display or use in a rotation. Having a small house has given me a lot more objectivity when it comes to keeping things. That helps me let go easier.

      Delete