Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Wednesday, September 2, 2015

My Thoughts on Cutting the Cable

It has been 3 weeks since I discontinued my cable subscription (but kept my internet).  Here are a few thoughts.



~  The thing I miss most is the clock on the DVR.  I didn't realize it was the only clock I had in the living room.  I find myself looking at the place the DVR once resided multiple times a day.  I haven't decided if I want to purchase a clock and put it where the DVR once lived.  I think I would like it but I'm feeling very frugal these days and have decided just to walk into another room when I want to know the time - or look on my phone or look on the computer time thingy.

~ I already knew I played the TV for background noise.  I like the voices on Bones and Castle and even though I had seen the reruns multiple times, those two were my go-to background noise shows.  I find I miss having background noise but not enough to pay for it.  I could probably turn either of those shows on through my Fire Stick but I am trying to ween myself from doing that.

~ I miss having the recorded shows I watched regularly.  Having those shows recorded and available allowed me to sit down at a time I really felt like watching TV and know that I had something I really wanted to view.  This is very different from background  noise TV and I guess is what TV should really be about - picking a select time and a select program to entertain me - not randomly surfing for the lesser of the evils.

~ I told you I had started watching Twin Peaks.  Apparently I had never watched the  whole series or I had completely deleted it from my brain bank.  It is a show like no other.  It ran from 1990 to 1991 according to the stats and I would have picked it as a 1980s program without the heavy mustaches.  Kind of hippie, spacey overkill yet held down to earth by Kyle MacLachlan. I think it has stood the test of time but it will only be enjoyed by certain viewers.

~ Another program I started watching was Veronica Mars.  I never watched it during its run from 2004 to 2007.  Kristen Bell is incredibly good.  The plot is typical high school struggles for the ins and outs of the 90201 type crowd.  I find the story to be relevant to my 1966-1968 high school days as well as to my grandson's current high school stage.  I hurt for him knowing that he is going through this stage, the same stage all of us have been through, but because I love him so much, and want his life to be gentle, I wish I could give him the wisdom to go through high school with as little psyche damage as possible.  But, we all know, we can't protect them from life.

~ I do enjoy knowing that I am $100 richer each month by not having cable.  I read today about Netflix not renewing "something with someone" because they want to have exclusive rights to the programs they run (meaning you won't see the same program on Amazon or Hulu).  I can understand why they would  want that with all the sites that are becoming available.  I didn't realize there were so many sites out there.  Kind of like being pregnant and you start noticing all of the pregnant women in the world.  Of course, if you are not careful, you can $10 yourself with these programs until you are right back up to the $100 cable free.

~ Another thing I am enjoying is that I can move my TV anywhere I want without the need for the cable cord.  Previously I had been limited to the two areas nearest my cable connection.  Funny part is that, until I get the urge to rearrange my living room again, the TV is still in the same place.

~ I do drag the TV into my bedroom at night.  Something I haven't done in years. For many years now I have listened to books on cd while waiting to fall asleep.  I confess that this is one of the things that has contributed to my sleep problems since sometimes the stories are so good, I actually get a second wind instead of relaxing into sleep.  However, there are some voices that are so soothing, I fall asleep pretty quickly.

~  Finally, even though my intent was to only keep the internet, I am continuing to receive calls on my land line.  I called and told them I was still receiving calls and customer service told me it was the same price with or without the land line. Doesn't seem right does it?  I'm going to check on that further.

For what it is worth, that is my thoughts on cutting the cord.



6 comments:

  1. We reduced our dish package down to the lowest one available since we are still under contract. I am looking forward to being able to cut it all together. We were told the same thing with the land line and internet. In our case though, we need the landline because our cell phone reception is spotty at best and I need to be able to be reached for work since I am a substitute teacher. As for the clock issue, I hear ya! It was bugging my hubby so bad so we got another digital clock at the thrift store and set in on top the entertainment center. Problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Barbara! How is your adventure going? We have been cable-free for a long time and no longer have a landline either. It's great! We use a Roku stick (similar to your fire stick, I think) to access YouTube, PBS, and other free channels, and get to Netflix from there. Our phone service is Ooma which runs through our Internet. Much cheaper all around. We keep an old-fashioned tv antenna in our attic and can get a number of free channels by plugging it into our cable outlet and then into the tv. Works well for us! Also, check your library system for some of the videos you miss. They might have Twin Peaks.

    Good luck on saving yourself lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Barbara! How is your adventure going? We have been cable-free for a long time and no longer have a landline either. It's great! We use a Roku stick (similar to your fire stick, I think) to access YouTube, PBS, and other free channels, and get to Netflix from there. Our phone service is Ooma which runs through our Internet. Much cheaper all around. We keep an old-fashioned tv antenna in our attic and can get a number of free channels by plugging it into our cable outlet and then into the tv. Works well for us! Also, check your library system for some of the videos you miss. They might have Twin Peaks.

    Good luck on saving yourself lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is quite encouraging for me. I would not miss the clock at all and I ever have anything on just for background noise. i am too much of an introvert for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great post.
    much food for thought here.
    i liked the quirky series of twin peaks too.
    i also liked northern exposure!
    i'm thinking if my cable and internet service were not included in my rent... i would be tempted to cut the cord too.
    i never watch tv during the daytime. what a wasteland.
    and even at that i have just a very few mainstream shows i watch. if i watch anything at all it's always the WONDERFUL
    BBC shows on PBS! poldark... downton abbey... doc martin... sherlock... masterpiece theatre... every thing they do is quality!!!
    and i like antiques roadshow. shows like that.
    you brought a tear to my eyes talking about your grandson.
    it's such a hard age. and boys get hurt every bit as badly as girls do. sometimes even moreso!
    but with you in his corner... he'll be fine! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been w/o TV for two weeks while on vacation. Right now I'm missing the U. S. Open. So I think we'll keep cable when we get back home (even tho' we don't watch that much). We also have netflix ... overrated imho.

    ReplyDelete