Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A good time was had by all

I'm on Day Two of helping at my Son's house and there is no doubt I made the right decision.  I didn't intend to go there and be the maid or try to take over as the parent.  I just wanted to help a little because I could see the worn-out, trying-hard look on my Son's face as he described what he was going through as a single parent.


My schedule goes something like this.  I get to the house and put a load of clothes in the wash.  I pick up a few items left in the living room and put in the basket to be put up by the owner of the item.  My main contribution is meeting the school bus for the kindergartener and then picking up the youngest from day care.  With both girls at home, my Son doesn't have to race against the traffic to get to the daycare before closing.  Remember he has a drive of at least an hour in the traffic and one problem on the road can cause a parking lot on the interstate.

After I've got both girls home, we have a fruit snack and then they go out in the back to play.  I straighten up the porch or do odd things around the back yard. Then we come in and clean up hands and faces and sit down in the living room for a little drawing time while waiting for Dad to come home.

He has had a little problem getting the girls to fall asleep since he's moved out - truth is the girls are some alien form that do not require sleep :)

I haven't gotten a chance to talk to him but I am hoping that the talking  and cuddling and being at home and playing in the yard are helping the girls unwind a little faster so that maybe they will fall asleep easier.

I got a sweet text from my Son this evening thanking me for everything.  I hope that means some things are easier for him.

So yes, Nana Momma Barbara Miller made the right decision.  (Nana Momma comes from the Alex Cross novels in case you forgot where you heard it.)




PS: The little girls may not sleep better after an afternoon with Nana, but Nana will sure sleep good after an afternoon with the girls.

7 comments:

  1. I would say you have gone where you are most needed. You are providing a level of stability at a critical time for your grand daughters. There cannot be more important work for you right now. I think it is wonderful that you are able and willing to do this for your family. And you do it with love--the best part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olga. I'm pretty glad I did decide to do this.

      Delete
  2. Barbara before I got to your p.s. I was thinking that Grandma probably sleeps better. :-)
    what a wonderful gift to your son.
    I hope it does get easier for him.
    Being a single parent is difficult on everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body was aching last night when I went to bed but I had a great night's sleep and ready to go again today.

      Delete
  3. Barbara,the comment I left earlier this week on your piece about venting disappeared. Wanted you to know I stopped by. Sometimes we grandparents are called on to help out with children and their children and it's okay. The girls are probably tense owing to parents Tennessee. As a single parent, I was wound tight as a wing nut, but somehow we survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wound pretty tight myself so I knew that a little help would be a good thing. I looked for your other comment but couldn't find it. Guess its floating in the atmosphere somewhere. Thanks for stopping by. I need all the atta girls I can get these tired days.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete