Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Saturday, January 2, 2016

This is what makes America Great

I've had a busy couple of days from Dec. 30 to Jan. 2 getting the old clunker ready for the road.

I've had the horn fixed, the car inspected, some wheel thingy replaced, new tires, new windshield and today, new cd player and new windshield wiper blades.  I bought the tires at Firestone although I usually go to an independent guy but he was closed for the holidays.  I bought the wiper blades at an Auto Store and the nice young guy put them on for me.  Other than those two places, every shop I went to was an independent shop in or near my neighborhood.

But what was especially interesting was that every man who appeared to be the owner was originally from a different country.  I was amazed that these people come to our county, learn our language (although I understand English is widely spoken), find a niche that they can fill and go to work.  They work long hours for a limited amount of profit and seem so proud of the their business and the work they do.

You know I shopped hard for what I wanted and researched each item - which brand was the best and where was the best value and what store had the best reviews.  Yes, I did my homework but it was the businesses that did the work.

This is still the reason everyone (well not everyone) wants to come to America and make their fortune.  If you work hard, money can be made and your family supported in a comfortable style.

I'm just saying.  This week I was reminded what made America great and I was proud.

Here is something else I'm proud of - the new CD player.  Ok, it was a Want and not a Need but driving 35 miles each way it is almost a Need!! Anyway it is pretty.



Notice the changing color - Whoo Hoo.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to get all those things done? And, hey, every so often we need to fill a want. If all we get is needs, what's the point. Right? Especially when we don't treat ourselves very often. I've done that lately, and am glad I did! Nice looking radio! Happy New Year to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds almost like a whole new car! Hope you have happy days on the road in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful post.
    i too have marveled at the courage it must take to come here and start a business...
    with the language barrier... and having to learn the money and the taxes and all.
    they're amazing really. and truly what makes this country wonderful.
    and really... even born americans in small businesses!
    my husband had his own business and before he died the red tape of running it was getting larger every year. to support them is an honor.
    happy new year dearest bean!
    it sounds like you're off to a great start! xo♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I let a message the other day. However, I don't see it here so am commenting again. Hopefully this one works. Anyway, congratulations. I am impressed with your auto acumen!

    ReplyDelete