Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Friday, April 22, 2016

Birds and Cat Food

I'm sorry if the bird stories have become boring but I find them so interesting.  (And I wonder why the Grandson finds my life so boring!)

I haven't put out bird feed for several days.  Of course, with all the rain we had that wasn't a hard decision to make.  

Yesterday, I was sitting in my recliner playing on my laptop when I saw a blue bird steal food from the cat's plate on the porch.

I usually pick up the plate when the cat is through so Buddy won't eat what's left.

I used to put the left over food plate on the porch rail so I could put it down again when the cat came back.  That was until I caught doves and squirrels coming to eat off the plate while on the rail.  Now I just have to bring it in.

By the way, the vet told me that cat food is full of salt and since Buddy is having "a little weight issue," I should be sure to keep it from him.


Back to the blue bird.  I saw him a time or two at the empty feeders but I was determined to wait the doves out.  However, when he came all the way up to the door looking for feed, I decided it was time to fill the feeders.

I filled them late yesterday afternoon and didn't see a lot of traffic.  Today as I was sitting here I heard the music and looked out to see a big red bird at the feeder.  He came and left several times.  He is a pretty big guy and I probably could have gotten a good picture but I didn't try.

I'm tired today.  Some days hit me like that.  My blood sugar is always highest in the morning so that makes me pretty sluggish from the get go.  Usually I rebound by the afternoon but this is one of those days that I'm going to have to work the program (also known as exercise) to feel better, I think.

I have several chores that need to be done and will get done if I feel more energetic later.  I'll let you know.



12 comments:

  1. I love hearing about the birds. :) I do hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked meat today in case my iron was low. The red bird(s) were around a lot today and that was exciting. Something spilled a bunch of food - I think it was the squirrel - now I'm wishing for the doves because they eat seed off the ground as well as the feeder.

      Delete
  2. I so miss feeding the birds. I had so many birds at my feeders in Texas but it's just about impossible to keep the seed dry where we are in Oregon. I do not like dealing with wet birdseed! I used to put out some of those big peanuts in the shell for the blue jays. They would take one and fly away, the fly back and take another until they were all gone. Birds are very fascinating and so is other forms of backyard wildlife. Boredom is a problem for me right now and I would love to have birds to watch. I heard a crow this morning and wished it would come to a tree near me. I enjoy crows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad not to be able to keep the food dry. Something like my homemade baffle might keep them try but depends if it rains down or sideways. You might try peanuts for the blue jays like the video I just posted.

      Delete
  3. I hope you felt better as the day progressed.

    I enjoy your animal stories. The birds sound very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those birds just delight me. Sometimes I feel like Cinderella where the birds flew up and around her. They are great fun but I need to find an inexpensive source of food.

      Delete
  4. Was it a cardinal at your feeder? That's funny that they were eating the cat food! Feel better....hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, best to put out some food when the birds actually come knocking on your door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Especially since I have that little hanging screen. If they took a mind to, they could come right in and grab my food off the table. Wouldn't that just scare me and the bird to death! LOL.

      Delete
  6. You tell a great bird tale. Never bores me. I wonder if your blue bird is a Blue Jay. They are awfully clever and a type of crow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the birds that visit, the Blue Jay is the least affected by my going in and out the door or walking in the yard. He'll fly in and grab his seed and be gone. He doesn't really care if I'm there or not. It would be nice to see how friendly I could get but taming wild animals is not really a good thing. The next person could be a danger to them.

      Delete
  7. I wish we had colorful birds at our feeder. I'd love to have a cardinal there, especially.

    ReplyDelete