Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Friday, April 15, 2016

Squirrels, Doves and Other Backyard Beasts

When I put out my new feeders, this is what I hoped for.  Lots of little birds flying in and chirping around the bird feeders.  



What I got instead was this bevy of doves. There are 7 in this picture.


I do like doves.  I like their little cooing sounds and they have been frequent invited visitors.  But since the new feeders came, they are swarming my yard.  


So today I started trying to shoo them off.  I tried throwing something at them but my aim was so bad they didn't even move.  Then I got the hose and squirted them.  They came back.  Then I got a towel and waved and popped it in the air.  



That worked for about 5 seconds and they came right back.  This smarty pants dove in the picture is just defying me.  Absolutely determined to wait out the crazy woman running around the yard hollering and waving things.  

If that wasn't enough to deal with, the squirrels are none to happy with me either.  This brave fellow ran up and down the tree trying to get to the feeder.  


Then he was really P.O'd with me and sat in this nook and hollered at me at the top of his lungs for the longest time.  He wanted me to know he was good and mad.   



This process of running at the doves, hollering and screaming, squirting the water house, throwing things, waving arms and towels went on for hours.  I'd run them off, go sit in my house and they'd come back.  And we would do it all again.

While all this was going on the bluebird decided to drop by.  He wasn't afraid of all the waving and shouting going on.  He'd swoop in grab a seed and take off. Few minutes later he'd do it again.  He was to fast for me to get a picture. Besides that, it is really hard to take a picture while your hands are waving wildly in the air.      

I just gave up.  So did Buddy.  This bird business is tiring.  




PS.  The lizards gave me no problem today.  They had enough sense to run away and stay hidden.


5 comments:

  1. Buddy is very clever. Sign at the bird seed store: Humans 1, Squirrels 9. Guess who wins most of the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the second person I've heard from this week who has talked about the problem of doves in the feeders. I wonder if there's a proven solution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a rough day. I hope tomorrow is better. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm laughing reading your descriptions of you battle with the doves, the POed squirrel and the picture of Buddy just laying there like "Yep, Mom has lost it". LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. I love your header, too. Warm greetings from a baby boomer in Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete