Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Friday, May 6, 2016

Binge Watching House Hunter's International

I never watch anything live.  I record the few shows I do watch so that I can skip through the commercials.  Sorry advertisers.

I rotate what I watch on HGTV.  Once upon a time I watched House Hunters (regular) but sometimes the clients would just aggravate me to no end with their pickiness. So I switched to House Hunters International.  This was better because you got to view house choices and see something of what it is like to live in other countries.

Last night I watched Stratford-On-Avon (southern Warwickshire, England), Lyon (situated between Paris and Marsielle, France) and Doha (capital city of Qatar on the Persian Gulf).

The people moving to England and France wanted to live in and experience the culture of their new countries.  They wanted homes that reflected the architecture and style of the area.  The couple going to Doha were two attorneys with two small children so I think that affected their thinking.

The family in England had 4 children and he had been transferred.  While they were there, they wanted to explore as much of Europe as they could with their grade school to junior high children.  One of the houses they looked at was a windmill where the bedrooms were on different levels.  She loved the idea.  They ended up in a house that was not the English look she wanted but very close to his work and under budget. They shared several pictures of the places they had already gone as a family. Good job folks.

I have watched many different episodes and it continues to amaze me.  Some want an authentic atmosphere but they want American plumbing and appliances in the kitchens.  Open concept and large bedrooms.  Hello, some of these buildings are older than our country.  They weren't large and didn't have granite countertops.

The youngish man going to Lyon admitted he was hard to please.  He wanted authentic plus a large kitchen with gas, a bathtub and a grassy area.  He found the charm without the tub or yard.  He found the tub in an over budget apartment because showers seemed to be the norm.  He did find the yard, gas stove and on budget in a more modern location.  He settled for the modern location and tried to make it look more French with the decorations inside the apartment.  Good for him.

The family of lawyers with young kids wanted four bedrooms so they could have a live in nanny and he wanted a swimming pool.  I was confused.  You move to a country where women are required to cover themselves in public and you are worried about a swimming pool. Their budget was high but four bedrooms were hard to find.  I forget if they settled for 3 or 4 bedrooms but the complex was close to their office in that new man-made island community.  Their complex was situated so they looked out at other complexes that were all set to look out on a Venetian-like canal?  They obviously were not going for the atmosphere, well not Persian atmosphere.  They did find a nanny and they found a hotel that they could join to use the pool.  I thought the pool would be a no-go, even though pools make sense in their heat, but I guess if you are inside of certain areas you can bare your body in a swim suit.  Heaven forbid.

I know some of you are planning a move in the future.  Some of you are looking for large-ish places so the kids and grands can come visit; some of you are, like me, scaling way back in size to limit the upkeep.  A few of you are even heading back to the country, putting in a garden and getting a goat to take care of the grass.

I wish you all luck.  There are some things in motion in my life that may cause me to move this summer or fall.  If they don't happen, I'm not moving.  So I'm not making out my list of wants and needs yet.

If I do move, I don't think it will be a problem.  I think I'm just more flexible than most people.  However, if you ask my last realtor who had trouble finding me a house with the "right feel", she might disagree.  



16 comments:

  1. i no longer watch those shows.
    i used to.
    but found that it raised my blood pressure!
    when americans abroad start whining about not enough closet space
    "for all my clothes and shoes"
    and about the kitchen counters and on and on with their spoiled pickiness...
    i just couldn't stand it anymore! LOL!
    i'm like you.
    living very simply and staying flexible.
    we will follow your adventure wherever! moving can be fun. at least to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the Hunters sound like churlish teenagers. I would suspect some of that is also due to the way the producers cut the script. They probably want it to look like a great problem so the end house will be the great solution.

      Delete
  2. I hope I have owned my last piece of real estate. I didn't find home ownership to be all that great an experience. At this time in our life we're traveling light. We can move at the drop of a hat. Flexible is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't enjoy home ownership that much either. And, yes, I get the traveling light part. I keep decluttering. I don't want to own so much, clean so much, dust so much. However, I think I only fill the spaces I empty with things for the little girls. Hahaha. Bad me.

      Delete
  3. We moved six years ago to live near our family. It was a great move for us. I hate moving and hope to be here for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Living near family is such fun. That is part of the reason I am considering a move. I know that if I do move, it will probably be all the move I have left in me. So I am taking my time making the decision.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Barbara, that was interesting! We've been in our house for 35 years. We've always wanted to move! But we were too picky, plus we didn't want to incur more debt. Now that we hope to move, we will wait for circumstances to fall in line for that. We are best led to stay here by closed doors and we go by our feelings of places, but if the time comes later this summer to open doors, off we go! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the way to handle a move. Wait until it is the right time to sell. Wait until it is the right time to buy. Or wait until the right magic comes together and you know it is the right time and the right place.

      Delete
  5. I echo the first comment--except for the moving can be fun part.:)) I wonder what people in other countries think of U.S. Americans when they see that demanding, entitled attitude. Well, the Ugly American has been around for a while as a stereotype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I'm amazed that more realtors don't do the eyeball roll over the American wish list. My requirements are few so I'd probably find a good place at a good price but then again, I may just think I am flexible and I would really be a pain.

      Delete
  6. BTW, I know exactly what you mean about "feels right" and I was lucky to have a realtor that got that completely. I looked at just five places (two distressing open houses and three with the agent). I knew as soon as I walked into the condo that it was "it." The agent had a big smile on her face and said, "I thought so!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I know what you mean. I have been very lucky to have found several "it" places over the years and I still look back and see that the place really "was me."

      Delete
  7. I hope we die in this house. I've moved over 50 times (42 before I was eight years old) and it has little joy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa. That is way too much moving. No wonder you want to stay put. I told my landladies several times that I am staying here until I die. That if they sell the property they should make the buyer aware that I come with the property. That is the unfortunate part of renting from an individual but, for now, I'll take my chances and stay till my time runs out or the family make me move closer.

      Delete
  8. Less is more for me. I don't want a big house to maintain, and if our kids ever come to visit we'll get them a motel room. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you are talking my language. Small enough for comfort and easy to clean.

      Delete