Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Breasts

Ok, this may be more of a ladies post but it is intended as a discussion of the display of breasts.

Now every woman had some kind of fantasy about breasts growing up - not the kind you boys had either.  We waited and waited for them to arrive.  Wondered what it would be feel like.  Wonder what we would look like.

Some of us wished for bigger and better.  Some wished what they had would go away so people would quit looking (as in "My eyes are up here").  Others just could not have cared less.

Finally we got them.

Then came the 60s and 70s and we wanted to throw away the bras we had waited so long to attain.  We wanted to be free.  And at that point it probably didn't make any difference to our young erect figures.

Then we got older.  Maybe we nursed babies.  Maybe we gained and lost weight. Maybe the braless years helped gravity along and our breasts were no longer their bouncing upright selves.

Flip the calendar another decade or two and the darn things are nearly dragging on the ground.  Well you've have to be well endowed for that but still - the air has left the breasts.

Also during all this time, the use of different inventions to enlarge, uplift, downsize and change breasts in some manner became available to the common woman. We've all seen pictures of women who took it too far.  And yet we've all known someone with a boyish figure who was able to get enough shape to soothe those years of longing.

So now I've seen and heard of just about everything on the subject of women's breasts - including the healthy (?) research I did as a youngster in National Geographic.

So why do we need to display so much cleavage in every picture you see in print or on screen.  I understand that everybody is not 66 years old and has had what feels like a millennium of dealing with breasts.

You have some families like the Duggars that are covered head to toe.  You have other families like the Kardashians who are vying among themselves to see who can show the most cleavage (and other parts).

I'm not a 16 year old boy.  I don't want to see your naked body.  Your breasts may be bigger, smaller, rounder, firm, perkier and painted purple.  Don't care.  Don't want to see them.

You are on the red carpet, I'm not watching you to see your breasts.  I want to see your dress, your hairstyle, even your answers to hopefully not inane questions.

You are in a bathing suit, ok skimpy.  You are nursing, ok in my book.  You pose for a how to do a self examine.  You are the subject of reconstruction surgery, maybe a cancer survivor and want to share the hope with others, more power to you. I'm sure there are many more reasons that don't come immediately to my mind.

So why is it that breasts continue to be the focus of pictures.  Is it just that there is a continuous stream of folks behind us that haven't seen enough of breasts? As baby boomers there are large numbers of folks in our age group.  Am I  the only one tired of seeing breasts?  Are breasts the new beauty.  Why, if our purchasing power is so strong, are the advertisers not aware that this is not our number one interest.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s so I strutted my stuff.  I showed a little more than my mother would have allowed at times.  I probably would have streaked if I weren't so basically modest.  I'm not a prude.  I'm just tired of seeing breasts.

I'm just ranting.  Its the Cannes film festival time.  I do this every time there is an awards season.  I don't watch any of the awards programs.  They are just too long and wordy for me now.  I admit, however, I do like to look at the pretty dresses though.  Some I admire - like Blake Lively.  Some not so much - like the Kardashians.

Rant over.




17 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you wrote today. Personally, I'd like the Twiggy stick shape at this point, although as a teenager I tried to 'flesh' out my breasts with TP. Margaret Atwood wrote a book years ago about women, whose breasts were so heavy they could not get off their backs. A male fantasy, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yes, I do remember the TP! I could go Twiggy myself. No belly, no bust. It would be a heck of a lot easier to deal with.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hahaha. I just had to get that off my chest (pun intended).

      Delete
  3. I can't help you on this one as I don't watch TV. When I'm out and about the tattoos I see are far more distracting than breasts. I figure some day they'll get over wanting to show their breasts and can cover up. Some of these tattoos I'm seeing can't be covered and boy are they going to have a lot of years to regret those foolish decisions. I also don't like the men growing those huge holes in their ear lobes. Next they'll be wearing a bone through their nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even get me started on tattoos or ear plug gauges. That makes exposing your boobs child's play. Dumb, dumb and dumber.

      Delete
  4. I agree! These women who show them (esp. Hollywood) must think they are God's gift to us. I am sick of seeing their flesh flashed all the time...ha! Oh golly...the twister days! ha...luckily those games all came back and I was able to buy them for my children also. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been playing Chutes and Ladders with the oldest Grand Girl. Haha. It is gut wrenching for her. If she hits the slide and goes down, it is so hard for her. And if she hits the Ladder and goes up, it happy dance time. I just love it. Can't wait for her to play dominoes.

      Delete
  5. I'm right there with you. I also hate that women go and get huge fake breasts and then put it all out there. I'm sorry, but they are so fake looking. You can tell because the shape itself is so unnatural. Not attractive at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I hate to pick on people. I'm not gorgeous or perfect. But really?

      Delete
  6. I did not get much in the way of breasts until I was in my forties. Some women's peri-menopausal fat goes to hips or tummy. Mine went to the boobs. I sincerely wish it had been the other way round. My experience is they just get in the way and require uncomfortable support bras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had big boobs during pregnancy and I can't say that I enjoyed it but I don't know if they are always as sore as uncomfortable in a non-pregnancy time. I got the menopause belly. I'm not sure which was worse. From hour glass to apple - so sad.

      Delete
  7. I must say that, as a lesbian, I never tire of looking at cleavage. But I'm not a fan of implants. But they're good for playing the game "Real or Fake?" at awards shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there you go. There is always another view. I can also say from the two people I personally know that had implants - both of whom had boyish figures - it did make them so happy. They didn't over do it and I was happy for them. So I guess it is better to be open to the needs of others.

      Delete
  8. AMEN to "enough already."
    actually also sick of the Kardashian obsession with BOTTOMS and just THEMSELVES in general!
    I was built like peter pan my whole married life.
    since I turned about 48 my whole body changed. poofy! LOL.
    I have done exercises for the chest though my whole life. so stil firm and fine.
    just no one around to appreciate them now. so... meh.
    great ranting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy you are so funny. You crack me up.

      Delete
  9. I'm enjoying your writing - and your sense of humor. In my 70's now, I don't think much about breasts, except when I'm trying to buy a comfortable bra!

    ReplyDelete