Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Friday, May 13, 2016

I Love A Shower


Yes.  The new diagnosis made me sad.  Thanks for your kind words.  All Baby Boomers are in the same boat headed down the river of No Return.  We will all get to the end.  It is just that some will get there earlier.  Who knows, I could live with this and prosper for a long, long time.  I just had to take a day to  process it. To accept that there is another alligator in the river to watch out for.  The important thing is to enjoy the ride, look at the beautiful scenery and let the sun shine on your face.  'Nuf said.

What I really want to talk about is a shower.  I have a little routine in the mornings.  I set up my coffee pot each night so that my coffee is ready when I get up.  One of my great delights - which are few and far between - is to wake up before the coffee pot and turn it on.  I have such a hard time waking up in the morning that when I am able to get up before the programmed time, it is a High Five day.

I make my coffee, pick up my phone to check for messages, let Buddy out and settle into my recliner with my laptop.  I read my messages, some of the blogs I follow and drink coffee.

Sometime during the second cup my coffee needs are saturated.  I get up, lock the door - remember Psycho - and head for the shower.  I turn on the hot water and make my bed while the shower is steaming up.  And then I'm ready to enjoy. I know it is a mental thing more than a physical thing, but it is still my thing.

I wish I had one of those magical rain-making shower heads or a fancy head to turn it from soft to muscle relaxing jets.  I have a nice, moderately priced shower head. Don't remember the brand.  I have gone through several.  I can never get them cleaned out good enough once the hard water sets in so I consider yearly shower heads a necessary expense.

The funny thing is that after the build up and anticipation, my showers are relatively short.  When I first moved here I was conscious of the free water I receive.  And since we know I love my yard, I also wanted to have enough water to water my plants without sending  my landlord's water bill sky high.  So I got in the habit of a short, but efficient, shower.

My hair is short so it doesn't take but a minute to wash.  I don't usually use conditioners but when I do I usually do it in the kitchen sink so I can give the conditioner time to set in.

I think I've mentioned before that I use Oil of Olay hand soap for bathing and face washing because my body legs and arms have become so dry from the diabetes and aging.

I do like good smelling liquid soaps and I have half a dozen that I keep by the tub to treat myself.  They are a great little pick me up when you are having a blah day and sometimes I use them just before bed to give me a sweet smelling send off.  Yes there is often a second and sometimes third shower of the day. Yard work or summer dog walks often require a quick clean and the third shower is often just for those stressful days when your muscles need to relax before sleep will come.

However, the purpose of my early shower is strictly a wake up process.  It signals to my body that the day is about to begin.

Out of the shower, feeling fresh and awake, I'll  find Buddy sitting on my bed watching me.  He knows this is the real start of the day and he gets excited.  My body is feeling alive and my mind has kicked into gear.


I don't always dress and leave the house but I do dress for the day.  I usually go back to my computer and start reading blogs.  It is like just checking in with a friend to see what is new.  I don't really know any of you, but I feel like I do.  I know your kids or grand kids.  I know if you are on vacation or writing a book.  I know about your health problems or those of your family or friends.  We share a lot in our blogs and I think it fills those little exchanges I once shared with friends at my office, or the soccer field, etc.  The blogs I follow have become part of my tribe.  I even share your stories with friends as a sign of success that can be had, or things to watch out for, or interesting news I have learned.

The shower sets me up for this.  I am alive and awake and ready to listen and learn.  Some would say that time is wasted on the internet.  I would say it has it's place and it's use.  It keeps my world bigger than this little room.  It keeps me experiencing things I would not try on my own.

And, like today, I feel those pats on the back that are your replies that say - this too shall pass - and it will get better again.

Thanks for sharing my little world and sharing your world with me. I'm awfully glad to have you here.




20 comments:

  1. I'm reading in reverse, having missed yesterday's post. I love reading about your daily activities, you have a knack for setting a scene and filing it out....a natural talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the Garrison Keillor of my tribe!

      Delete
  2. Good Afternoon Barbara. :) I'm glad that we can all share and become friends and support for one another, even if we never do meet face to face. I know that with me being home full time now due to health issues, the blog world helps keep me sane. ;)

    I'm like you with the shower and to be honest, I do some of my best thinking in there. The trick is trying to remember what all my great ideas were that I came up with while in there the minute I step out. ;)

    I hope you have a great weekend and do something special for yourself. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I forget about all the world problems I resolve in the shower too. Maybe the will invent a waterproof dictaphone and we can record our ideas and become rich and famous. If not, we could have organized lives. That wouldn't be bad either.

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful calming way to start the day,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really tell the difference if I don't shower and it has nothing to do with whether or not I am dirty. For some reason its signals my brain. Aren't we all just the funniest with our little habits.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're there too, Barb. I enjoyed this post ... it's the little things that give us comfort.
    Sue
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Sue you are doing so great in your writing. I took several classes in college at night as an adult. It really was fun and more than that, it was the right time for my brain to be able to spit out the words.

      Delete
  5. You sound like your regular self today, Barbara. It sounds like a shower is an important part of your day. You knew what you needed. Take care...

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice when the burden of something finally slips from your shoulders and you feel your shoulders rise back to shoulder level. I wouldn't change my life but sometimes I have to process it. I can do this and I'm back to as normal or as anyone could consider me to be.

      Delete
  6. In the olden days we would be called pen pals (but with pictures and immediate feedback!) There is nothing new under the sun I guess. You dog looks soooo cute! I am a fan of baths. And at night before bed. The rest of my family are shower people and in the morning. My husband can't understand how I can feel fresh if I don't get a shower in the morning! I think I love the smell of coffee more than the cup of coffee itself! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. We are modern day pen pals. Reaching out. Hearing about new things. Expanding our world. What a fun way to look at it.

      Delete
  7. My early morning routine is basically the same as yours except I wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed. My eyes just pop open about 6:00 a.m. and I hit the floor running. Best time of day for my brain to work. After 4:00 p.m. I turn to a pumpkin, brain dead. I'm not nearly as keen on showers as you. If I do some activity that requires a second or third shower I try not to repeat that, one shower a day is enough for me. I'm the same way with clothes. I hate changing in and out of clothes all day. I do get a lot of enjoyment reading blogs. What would be do without the Internet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to naturally wake up early. Even though you probably still get the same amount of hours, it just seems like you can do so much more.

      Delete
  8. I replaced the crappy shower head in my apartment with one of those hand-held shower heads. They're great for those "hard to reach" nooks and crannies, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. Then I could point the shower head at my back and really get the kinks knocked out. What if you could add shower gel so that you first got sprayed with sudsing soap and then it sprayed clean water. Like a human car wash. Woo hoo.

      Delete
  9. I follow a very similar routine. Most of my showers are pretty quick but once in a while I kind of enjoy a long soak in the tub.
    I put in epsom salt if my muscles are complaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love a long soak but it is getting harder and harder to get out of the tub. My tub has high sides, which makes it great for a soak, and I have a handrail I use to steady myself, but being relaxed makes it even harder to pull out. LOL. It was nothing to do with the extra weight, I'm sure.

      Delete
  10. Barbara, I just read your previous post and this one. I'm sorry about your "new" diagnosis. Like you, I have to process news like that to get to a place of acceptance, and then research to see what I can do to help myself. Which I'm sure you will do, too. You are an amazing, beautiful, funny, delightful, smart, strong woman, and I'm very glad you decided to blog so I could "meet" you. Gentle hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. We just have to struggle through - and we do. Today I'm feeling very chipper. Guess that day of thinking about it took care of my worries and I'm back on my feet.

      Delete