Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Shampoos I used while trying to wash out the dye job

I shared my hair dyeing adventure with you.  It was sooooo awful when I finished.  I immediately started looking for home remedies. One of the things I read was to wash your hair with dandruff shampoo which was strong enough after several applications to strip some of the color.  Another thing I read was to use shampoo with biotin to help your hair recover from the effects of hair color and stripping your hair.

My hair dye is continuing to wash out as I keep applying these two shampoos. So if you ever get in the same predicament I did, here is what I did.

I used OGX Shampoo, Thick & Full Biotin & Collagen.  The reviews said it made thin hair thicker and hair growth was faster.



Now the Biotin was also praised in pill form for hair and nails but I need hair help and fast so I used the shampoo and literally picked the first brand I saw with Biotin in it.  This turned out to be the OGX shampoo above.

I don't like to recommend things because what works for one person doesn't always work for another.  I have to say that I can see a lot of new hair growth at my front part.  Would it have grown this fast anyway?  I don't know but I feel like its working to make my hair grow faster.  Just sayin'.

So, if you want to spend a couple of dollars and try some type of Biotin, I don't think you can go wrong.  The worst case scenario is that you will have clean, short, thin hair.

The other product I used was Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo.


I guess that the ingredients that fight dandruff are strong enough to remove color. Makes you wonder, huh.  My doctor had recommended this product for the itches I have that are some type of "dermatitis".  Well it didn't help that but I think it did help strip the color.

I have washed my hair multiple times each day rotating the shampoo.  My hair continues to get lighter.  The back of my hair which had more brown color naturally absorbed more dye than the white hair in the front so it is being stripped differently.  The front is a very light brown and the back - well who the hell knows.  I just don't look at it.

So I recommend the Biotin for anyone with thin hair or trying to regrow hair (such as after child birth).  The Selsun Blue didn't cure the itch but I think it did help strip the color.  It also feels kind of like Alka Seltzer on your head.  Kind of nice in a weird sort of way.

I'm not posting a picture because the little girls were here this weekend and I still have recovered my energy enough to fix my hair and paint my face.




10 comments:

  1. I never go near hair color products because I am hair illiterate. If it's possible to mess it up I will. Good luck and happy shampooing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned my lesson, I can promise you that. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adventures in hair colour removal! You are a determined woman. Continued good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really straddling the fence. I want to see my hair my natural dark color. But I miss my white front streaks. I should have just gone to a wig shop and tried out all of the colors and styles.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if baking soda mixed with shampoo would get it out faster and also help with the itchies? I know I used baking soda mixed with a little shampoo to strip all the build up of hair products on my hair and scalp and it works wonders at that leaving my hair really soft and my scalp does not itch after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that but it sure would be an easy experiment. I think I will try that next. Hahaha. Do you just mix the soda with the shampoo in your hand or a small container?

      Delete
  5. Oh you are so funny. Almost each post is kind of like watching an episode of I love Lucy. I know I shouldn't laugh at your troubles, but I am a weak person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing through my tears so laugh on. We do learn from each other so don't make my mistakes. Haha.

      Delete
  6. thank you for the biotin shampoo tip!
    they don't tell you when they take out your thyroid... even with replacement therapy...
    that your hair will get really thinner. mine is very thin on top now. and I always had such thick hair. this is hard to get used to!
    hoping the biotin shampoo might help that.
    but... since it's an absent gland thing... who knows? still. worth a try. thanks again!
    for the laughs and the wonderful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you are making progress on getting that non-wanted color out of your hair. I saw on another post that you were thinking about getting some streaks of color in your hair. Do you think the salon people can get the rest of the dye out so they can put it the way you want it, or do you have to remove all of this before you can get another application? I'm so ignorant of these things. I do have some highlights in my hair, but leave it all up to Marci, the hairdresser, to put "sauce" on when needed:) She is a friend of the family, and is a beautician, but does not work out of a salon right now so she comes to my house, or I go to hers.

    ReplyDelete