Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Monday, May 23, 2016

The Grandson Borrows My Car For the First Time

The Weekend Report:

Saturday night was the Banquet for the Theater Group at the High School the Grandson belongs to.  It was from 6:30 to 12:00 and the location was not to far, if I were driving, but I let the Grandson use my car for the first time.  It was a long, long night.

- First off, I picked him up and we came back to my house so he could drop me off.  It started pouring when we were two blocks from my house.  We pulled up out front and I jumped out and ran to the house.  The rain was pelting me.  I had the dog in one hand and my purse in the other.  Got to the door - and no key.  My house key was on the key ring and I forgot where I hid the extra key outside because I've never had to use it.  So I call the Grandson to come back.  He comes back, runs upstairs in the pouring rain, unlocks the door and runs off.

- First panic for the night.  I don't want him driving in the rain even if it is 5:00 and bright outside.

- Then, at 5:55 he calls me, he is lost and the Garmin sent him to the wrong place.  Possible but probable?  Why is he even there so early?  Too excited I guess.  I try to tell him how to turn around and go back because he passed the main street.  He is in panic mode at this time.  So I tell him to try to get directions off his phone. Oh, and he had a low tire and he had to stop and put air in it.

He sends me a text 10 minutes later - he is there.

- Next he calls me about 9:30.  He tried to start the car because he left something in the car and wants to turn on the lights.  First he gets a lecture about why is  he in the parking lot and not in the Banquet Hall.  Then I stop to listen to the problem.  The key won't go all the way in the ignition and if it does nothing happens.

I didn't think to ask him if the steering wheel was locked.  I haven't done that in years so I forgot that it does that extra lock the wheel business.  So I told him to leave it for an hour and go back and try

- My second panic attack.  I forgot to give him extra money.  If the car won't start he won't have money for a cab.  He'll have to get a ride.  Will someone help him?  The teacher surely.  And what will happen to my car if it stays there over night?  How will I get back in the fenced area for the Hall?  (Insert: stomach tightening and feeling a little nauseous).

- An hour later he calls me back.  A couple of friends went out to the car with him.  One of them has the same steering wheel lock on her car.  Press the brake, turn the wheel and use the key.

I get a text everything ok.  The car started.  I only have an hour and a half to worry and this night will be over.

- Now its 12:00.  Text saying he is leaving.  He doesn't tell me this at the time but he couldn't get the car to start.  Key turned but no turnover.  He remembered that sometimes I have to giggle the wire to the battery.  (I know.  I should have fixed that before he left.  All I have to do is find some pliers.  Brother. Mad at myself.)  So he jiggled the wire and the car started.  He is now the last person beside his teacher but I don't know all this yet.

- We had agreed before he left that (1) no one would ride in the car with him this time and (2) he would take a picture of himself inside the house when he got home so I would know he was really home.  No.  It is not that I do not trust him. I do not trust his Father as a teenager and he carries that man's genes.

I receive a picture of him in his room.  He's really home. Not dead on the street. No accident.  No one is going to sue me for letting a new driver out on the street.

- I called him after I got the picture to ask if he had a good time.  He sounded like he was bummed out.  I asked if it went well and he said yes he had a really good time he was just tired from the Banquet and all the car worries

- I texted with my daughter the next morning and asked her to find out if he had a good time.  She texted me back that he said best time ever.  Thank goodness,

-  After all that worry I would have been extremely unhappy if he had not enjoyed himself.  But.... no, no, no .... the story is not over.

- When he called me the next morning to see if I wanted him to bring the car back, I told him to go check and see if the tire was flat.  It was.

I called my daughter to ask for her help because she wasn't home and she reminded me I had AAA.  Hallelujah.  I called. They were there in an hour.  The spare was good (can I get an Amen) and the car was all ready for the road again.

- But before the car is on the road, when the Grandson is standing outside waiting for the tow people he notices that the little triangle window in the back passenger window has been knocked out.  I usually leave my old car unlocked because I'd rather they open the door and look around, rather than knock out the window.  However, I told the Grandson to keep the doors locked that night while he was driving so it was still locked and there was an empty box in the back seat that they probably wanted to check out.

- We don't know if this happened at the Banquet Hall or parked at the house.  My daughter has lived at the house for over a year and no one has had a car break in as far as she knows.

So my sweet little neighbor duck-taped it up for me and after I get the tire repaired or replaced, I'll worry about it.

That is the story of  my weekend - the first time I let the Grandson borrow my car - and it is a heck of a story.  I'm sure it will be told and retold over family holidays.


12 comments:

  1. Oh Barbara, you are a braver woman than me. I don't think I could survive that. I only have one grandchild, a boy, 14. I don't think he's going to want to drive grandma's old mini-van. I have two more years before I have to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen your mini-van can't be any worse than my 1996 Nissan Sentra. LOL. Enjoy it while you can because once driving gets in their blood they never stop talking about "when I can drive."

      Delete
  2. Wow. You got through it. It must have been nerve wrecking.

    It was good that you could help your grandson. He will always remember it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tense time. Ha ha. It did turn out to be a much bigger adventure than I expected. He will always remember it because the award banquet was also a very special occasion. As for me, good thing my hair is already white - except for the dyed part.

      Delete
  3. You are brave indeed. I have been wondering how long it will be before my granddaughter (soon to be 15) starts wanting to drive. I think she has already signed up for drivers' ed for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be here before you know it. And if she's signed up for drivers' ed, then the she is headed down that path at a fast and furious pace. Hahaha. Enough we went through it as parents. Now we get to be worried all over again.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! Worries never end as we get older, do they? It seems they increase as you get more people in your family....! I'm glad to read this in a way, because it makes me feel that I'm not alone when problems happen. But I am so sorry you grandson had such a rough night and you were right there with him in spirit suffering all of this! Where I live, gas stations, banks, convenience stores, etc. are robbed constantly...in expensive areas and non-expensive. Seems to be the signs of our times. And cars are broken into on driveways...so far so good for me though! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is so much meanness out there. If I look on the bright side, it may slow down his desire to drive on his own. It was also a good example of why he needs to study to get a good job so he can get a decent car. Hahaha.

      Delete
  5. Never a dull moment at your house, either!!! WOW! I think that was one of the longest nights possible. Glad you both made it through:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, you're a brave, brave woman; and it's a story I'm sure will be told over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, you both had a time. My daughter laughs now, but when her daughters began to drive, she put the oldest girls on her auto insurance. they drove for many years without incident. Her husband put the youngest girls on his insurance and both totaled their trucks the first month.

    But one of my favorite stories concerns the night my youngest son had a problem on one of the bridges that cross the Potomac. He came home in a police car. when we asked him next day where the car was, he couldn't remember. David and I are both happy the grandchildren are not our responsibility. My own kids were enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes, what a story! I would have been an absolute mess! I still worry when I loan my car to either of my daughters and they are in their mid twenties!

    ReplyDelete