Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Saturday, May 7, 2016

Walking Video and Posts

I saw this video on Life After Money.  It is a little bit long but was very well presented.  I don't make many recommendations but I do recommend watching this video.



There is also a corresponding web site Everybody Walk.org.  I haven't researched all of the articles yet but I am going to give them a good read over.  

I know that walking is something I can still do and it is free.  I don't mind walking Buddy each day (well almost each day) but just thinking about a walk for the purpose of health kind of leaves me cold.  

I've heard some exercising hobbyists say they hate it but they have to do it for various reasons like health or stress.  However, I think the majority of people who have good movement in their daily life are people who were born with an advanced walking gene.  

My mother could out walk me - longer and faster - until her dying day.  But ask her to cut the grass or work in the flower bed.  No.  Not her kind of exercise.  

I guess it boils down to - whether you like it or not - we need to walk.  The video suggests two 15 minute walks if you can't find the time for a 30 minute walk. I also read a suggestion recently that a walk around the block every two hours will keep you in good shape.  Either one of these plans sound doable to me but I'm lazy I guess.  

It is going to take a real effort on my part to implement this type of dedicated walking plan.  For heaven's sake, I'm retired.  I need to invest in my own health. I need to do this.  

I'll report back.  






8 comments:

  1. Good luck! I find the road to Hell is paved with good intentions...mine. Having had a stroke, scoliosis and several joint replacements which left my legs different lengths, I can walk...just. I do like gardening, however nine days of rain has made that pleasant enterprise difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although my knees can be bothersome, I baby them along so they will last as long as possible. Except for the lucky few, we will all find our bodies declining and diseases will be added to that. For me gardening is most difficult because I can't squat and bending at the waist is a killer. I do love to play in my yard so I go out there knowing it is going to give me a pain. But what can you do.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the walk plan. I find it gives me energy which is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess that I am not doing as well as I had hoped. Although with all that has been going on this weekend I burned enough nervous energy to burn a few calories.

      Delete
  3. i'm having a cold pain in my throat when i do any kind of exertion now.
    heat and humidity make it worse. I have no idea what it is. they're going to do an ultra sound on june 22. it kind of keeps me from walking as far as i'd like.
    but you're absolutely right. if you don't move it you lose it!
    general health that is. so i'm right there with you in your good intentions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. One of my dear friends is going to be chair bound if she doesn't work through the pain and keep her body moving. It scares me and forces me to think about moving my body.

      Delete
  4. Really? A walk around the block every two hours? I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I thought but darned if I got that plan in motion either. It is really frustrating when you don't do what you know you should.

      Delete