Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Sunday, May 15, 2016

Watching Old Movies on TMC

I'm having a lazy morning drinking coffee and watching TMC (tv channel).  I'm sure you've heard of this channel that shows all of the best of the old movies - and some you couldn't pay me to watch.  LOL.

I turned it on near the end of Going My Way with Bing Crosby.  What a sweet, sweet movie.  Is there anyone like Bing Crosby with his soft smile and crooning voice. Here is what Wikipedia says about the movie:

Going My Way is a 1944 American musical comedy-drama film directed by Leo McCarey and starring Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald. Based on a story by Leo McCarey, the film is about a new young priest taking over a parish from an established old veteran. Crosby sings five songs in the film.[2] Going My Waywas followed the next year by a sequel, The Bells of St. Mary's.

Going My Way was the highest-grossing picture of 1944, and was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, winning 7, including Best Picture.[3] Its success helped to make movie exhibitors choose Crosby as the biggest box-office draw of the year,[4][5] a record he would hold for the remainder of the 1940s. After World War II, Bing Crosby and Leo McCarey presented a copy of the motion picture to Pope Pius XII at the Vatican.

You can watch the full movie for free on YouTube if you are interested.

And, of course, this movie was followed by The Bells of St. Marys in 1945 with Crosby and Ingrid Bergman.

Next on the movie channel was Where the Boys Are.  Here is the Wikipedia description:

Where the Boys Are (1960) ... about four Midwestern college co-eds who spend spring break in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The title song "Where the Boys Are" was sung by Connie Francis, who also co-starred in a supporting role. The film was aimed at the teen market, featuring sun, sand and romance. Released in the wintertime, it inspired thousands of additional American college students to head to Fort Lauderdale for their annual spring break. (Staring Connie FrancisDolores HartPaula PrentissGeorge HamiltonYvette MimieuxJim HuttonFrank Gorshin.)

Where the Boys Are was one of the first teen films to explore adolescent sexuality and the changing sexual morals and attitudes among American college youth. It won Laurel awards for Best Comedy of the Year and Best Comedy Actress (Paula Prentiss).

I was 10 when this movie came out.  I'm sure I didn't see it until many years later but it still affected my view of what teenage years would be like.  The song Where the Boys Are, sung by Connie Francis, is probably one of the dreamiest songs of the time.  The music was written by Neil Sedaka so of course it was good.




In 1963 Dolores Hart left the big screen and Hollywood during a very successful career to become a Roman Catholic Nun.

This was also the first pairing of Paula Prentiss and Jim Hutton.  Prentiss was about 5'10", tall for an actress at that time, and Hutton was 6'5".

Yvette Mimieux.  I can say nothing but so sad.

George Hamilton.  He was very handsome in this time before orange tans.

Two totally different times in our country.  Two totally different movies.

Going My Way made me laugh and cry.  Such a wonderful movie.

Where the Boys Are, I remember thinking was an example of what my teenage world would be like.  Haha.  Not even.  Never made it to Fort Lauderdale or that kind of spring break ever.  This movie did put the Beware of Boys notion into my head.  Well, that movie and my "I'll open the door for your date" Dad.

Happy Sunday.


17 comments:

  1. Love those movies. I watched them with my father originally. I got my love of movies from him.

    Barbara, I have a friend who sees a naturopath for diabetes and has had some success with cinnamon on cereal in the morning. It helps regulate blood sugar. It's great with oatmeal but I have it on plain cheerios too. It might be worth researching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have heard about cinnamon. I have put in on my food every once in a while and I like the taste but I often forget about it. Now that you've reminded me I'm going to pull it to the front of the spice cabinet plus it is a good time to read up about it and see why they think it helps. Heaven forbid that we should find something easy and inexpensive to treat an illness. LOL. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
    2. I use it as often as I can with recipes. The naturopath stressed the importance of the morning especially though.

      Delete
    3. The cinnamon is not meant as a replacement for regular medication. It is a spice which is added to food which may aid with control of diabetes. I would never suggest you discontinue your regular medication.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like my kind of Sunday. I saw a documentary on Dolores Hart on EWTN channel. She was so pretty when she was young! And she worked with Elvis Presley and said (now she is an older nun) he was so nice and sweet! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. She made two movies with him. I don't remember them but think of her as to classy for hip swiveling. She was such a natural beauty. I hope she found the life she wanted in the monastery.

      Delete
    2. Yes she is a beautiful older woman now. Her youthful beauty reminds me of Grace Kelly. She seems very smart and is the Mother Superior of her order. I am so intrigued of how such a beauty gave up a glamorous life and money for God! She found a higher love and it is something to ponder! Andrea

      Delete
  3. Barbara, I hate to rain on your party but if you're a Type I brittle diabetic I don't think cinnamon is the way for you to go. Please check first with your doctor. Type I brittle is much more serious than Type II.

    Now about movie watching. I've seen so few movies in my life that I know next to nothing. Just this week I decided it was time I learned something about movies, broaden my horizons. I signed on to Netflix and have watched one. We'll see how I do with this. It helps that I can pause it and get up to do things and come back to it. I hate the thought of committing a couple hours to any one thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, darn it all, it couldn't be that simple. I did a little reading and it is the antioxidant in the cinnamon that affects some diabetes. It seems to do best for Type 2 though. However, I do like the flavor, so I'm going to put it on some toast or oatmeal and see.

      As for movie watching, I've heard there are two types of screen watcher. TV watchers like the characters and Movie watchers like the story line. I don't know if this is really true. I think there are a lot of good shows out there but there are also many that are not worth my time.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes sitting down with a couple of old movies is just the ticket. Our favourite coffee shop also shows old black and white movies, some popular, some more obscure it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat. One of the Mexican restaurants near me which was originally a movie theater shows black and white cowboy movies. I believe it is the original screen. It would be better at a coffee shop because I can sit and eat a whole lot of chips and dip watching old movies.

      Delete
  5. I have often thought about the unrealistic expectations the entertainment media gave us. I suppose it has only gotten worse. I thought for the longest time that mine was the only family that did not have the Cleavers or maybe Donna Reed for parents. Really, how sheltered could I have been?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well kids today think they were born from Aliens so maybe Donna Reed is a better roll model. LOL.

      Delete
  6. Where the boys are - too funny. I watched that when I was a kid. I loved that movie. I'm a bit younger but I always watched old movies. I used to come home from school in the winter months when I didn't enjoy being out side with 4 ft of snow...and I was allowed to watch old movies. Dead End kids, everything with Loretta Young and Gregory Peck etc. But I must admit that anything Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy are favorites. Adams Rib is one of my all time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Loretta Young. I'll always remember her coming through that door. So gracious. And the Bishop's Wife - love that movie. I've forgotten Gregory Peck except for To Kill A Mockingbird. I'm going to look him up and get a refresher movie or two going.

      Delete
  7. I almost started watching "Going My Way" yesterday too when I saw it was on. But I had stuff to do and didn't want to spend two hours watching it. I like Bing Crosby in a movie but it's hard for me to watch old movies about virtuous priests when we now know what many of them were up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch movies while I did my chores. That way I didn't have to sit through it but I could listen as I came in and out of the room. Now my house is so small I can hear in every room. But, I know what you mean about priests. Still I am sure there are many good ones out there that have helped people in good ways. I'm not Catholic so I can't really speak on it.

      Delete