Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Tuesday, June 7, 2016

First Attempt at Ice Dying

Here are two pillow cases that are my first ice dyes.  The first is Deep Purple. The process of ice dyeing is putting the dry powder on top of ice that has been placed on top of the scrunched fabric.  As the ice melts the dye powder will separate into the colors contained in the dye.



The second color is Mermaid Blue.  



There is a lot I could tell you about what I didn't do right.  Out of everything the worst part is that the mosquitoes were so bad outside that I had to do everything in my little kitchen which made it a little more difficult to arrange the fabric, ice and powder.  

All and all it was a great first try.  My biggest fear was of the Grand Girl getting into the dye and going home with a permanent blue or  purple hand.  She was good though and didn't seem to be to interested in what I was doing.  

P.S.  The Grand Girl is spending the week.  She is talking me to death!!! Know what I mean?  Oh for a little silence. 

PPS I know.  I'll be lonesome when she goes home.  




11 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! You will be lonesome after a week of such enthusiastic company. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wonder how I ever survived parenthood. Wow. I was really made of strong stuff. Hahaha.

      Delete
  2. The dye job looks nice. Oh yes, those talkers can wear you down by the end of the day. At least you know what she's thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I feel like I know every thought she has ever had! She has gone to her Aunt's house to eat dinner and play. A good little break for both of us.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cool project. I never heard of ice dye. Hard to believe I will have to spend MORE time on Pinterest.
    I know about the talking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are lovely! That's a fascinating dye process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of ice dye before, but I love the results! Are they pillow cases or fabric that you're going to use to make something else with? Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I'm thinking I may have to try this one myself. And I do understand about the need for silence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. And funny too. The looks on her parents faces if the GG shows up home tyedyed...hilarious! Beautiful pillowcases. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, those talkers can wear us down, can't they? I think when we are the parents, we don't mind saying, "Go outside and play." or something like that. As grandparents, we don't seem to do that.

    I love the ice dyes - I might try that with a t-shirt and see what I get. I pretty much wear white t-shirts every day, and this way I could choose my own colors. I'll post a photo if I do it. Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete