Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Friday, July 8, 2016

A day in the life of a Dog

I'll start off with a picture of Buddy.  He ran errands with me today - only because he ran out the gate and it was easier to put him in the car than return him to the backyard.  The errands consisted of driving grandkids different places and did not include him being locked in the car in the 104 degree heat.  However, he did get really hot and went and got in bed when we got home.  This is "his" blanket because he likes to be covered when he sleeps.



On to the rest of my day.  I read a blog by a woman named Andrea Dekker.  Some of you may read it as well.  Some of the things she does reminds me of myself in the past.  My daughter says she found her childhood fairly easy because I had standard rules and routines so that you weren’t surprised by what you had to do or when you were grounded for breaking the rule!  My son.... not so much.  Rules and routines were not his thing.  

This particular post gives a pretty good description of Andrea’s routines.  My life situation is not the same as hers but the need for ease is the same.   I think that I will add a few of her ideas to make my fairly easy life even easier.  In particular, I think the way she handles food would be good for me.  I don't mind eating the same type of meal often.  It will take some list making and rethinking on my part but I think it will pay off in the end.  Take a read when you have time if routines and simplifying your life interests you.

Short report on the rash.  The Cortisone pills seem to be helping.  The rash is still popping up but not really itching, or certainly not like it was.  I’m very grateful.  The blood sugar is up but I am just staying on top of it with larger doses of insulin.  My mother told me a long time ago when she had pneumonia that prescriptions were a problem for diabetics as they age and the medicine they need for one problem upsets the other problem - diabetes.  This is my first interaction with that.  So far so good.  If anything really wacky happens, don’t worry I am definitely an ER girl.  No chances taken here. Although I promise to gripe the whole time.



17 comments:

  1. I found your blog cause you commented on mine and I am so glad we connected! Tonight I have read back through May and enjoyed each post. Your grandkids are a great looking bunch and sounds like they love their Nana. I am also Nana to my g'daughter, Ellie. I will be posting some stories about her soon. Buddy is precious and your apartment, porch and yard are so cozy. It is past my bedtime but I look forward to reading more posts and adding your blog to my daily reads! Hope you will continue to visit mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think we are kindred souls, finding peace and happiness in our simple lives.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I know that being ill (no matter what the reason) upsets blood sugars a lot. I hope things settle down soon. Buddy sure is a cute little dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra. I am not a good patient and find this itching really frustrating. When I break down and go to the doctor, I'm ready for some serious cure-all.

      Delete
  3. Your rash situation reminded me of an experience I had many years ago with a sister-in-law who'd had brain surgery and broke out something awful with hives after she got home. I harped constantly she much remember to take her anti-seizure medication. Turns out that was what she was allergic to. It's not the hives on the outside you have to watch but what's going on inside. The dermatologist was so concerned he made a house call to see her again before the day was over, an unheard of thing for a doctor to do. I'm glad you're getting some relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm definitely hoping it is not the insulin. It will be a struggle and probably even more expensive if we have to start trying out new insulins. Most people don't realize how expensive the insulin is and I have to reshop each year for insurance that covers the type of insulin I am on that year. With all the diabetics in the world, can it really be that expensive to make. I think not.

      Delete
  4. Oh that Buddy...he makes me smile. :) I'm going to take a look at that blog post your recommended. I'm glad your rash is getting better.

    Be blessed and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie you know what it is like to have a sneaky medical problem. You're sailing along feeling fine and then the bottom falls out. All we can do is make hay while the sun shines. I know you know.

      Delete
  5. I love your spirit, Barbara. You are so adaptable and always look for the positive.

    It much be such a relief the rash is not so bad. I hope it is an itch free weekend for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I keep thinking what it must have been like when we were children with all the childhood diseases. Measels and chicken pox. I don't really remember having them, I can only remember my mother saying don't scratch and the socks on my hands. That's what I feel like. I need to wrap my hands so I can't scratch. Hahaha. The Grand Girl would get a kick out of that.

      Delete
  6. Buddy covered in a quilt in 100+ heat -- he is a creature of habit! Going to check out that blog now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I think he really did have heat exhaustion. When I went to bed he got up and went on the couch. He slept there all night. I had the air vent on him in the car and he loves to be outside, even in this heat so I'm not sure what happened. I usually carry water with me in the car but now I'll carry a little bowl for him just in case.

      Delete
  7. I'm learning so much about diabetes from you. And yes, I will check out Andrea's post. Routines are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diabetes is certainly a pain in the behind. I can live through the picking and prodding but I sure wish it would balance itself. There are so many people with worse problems that I try not to complain - too much.

      Delete
  8. I had the same situation -- a rule-follower daughter, and a son "not so much" as you say. Anyway gripe away; you're a charming griper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tom. It is a shame that only hindsight is 20/20. I sure could have used an owner's manual when it came to those two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you got some itch relief Barbara. I don't want you to start being a regular at the ER as Rick has been of late. :-)

    ReplyDelete