Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Monday, July 4, 2016

Celebrating the 4th of July

Today is the 4th and I’m sitting here alone in my chair.  (Alone means without the Grand Girl and Buddy the Dog trying to sit here with me.) 

I had a wonderful day yesterday at my sister’s house.  My daughter, grandson and I drove over to eat lunch and spend the day with my sister, her husband, two sons and daughter.  It was just enough people for a crowd but not to many to make me anxious and pull me into my shell. 

The food was wonderful and the company perfect.  My sister pulled out a box of pictures she found, probably brought home after we cleaned out my mother’s house.  They were a mish-mash of people, places and times.  Great fun.

We reminisced about the days when my sister used to iron my hair.  I’m guessing around ’68 when I was a senior in high school.  There were pictures of my sister around the time of her first marriage.  She kept saying “Look at me.  Why did I think I was fat.”  And true, she wasn’t overweight but like so many females in our society, we think we are. 

Here is a great one of me in Junior High, I think.  I always thought I was so unattractive then but the picture is so cute. 



We talked about my Grand Girl and what we’ve been doing this summer.  My daughter was saying how happy the Grand seemed to be.  We talked about the schedule the Grand and I run on and laughed about how I carve out quiet time several times a day. 

Talking about it made me realize how I feel, I’m not sure what the word is, maybe  fulfilled.  You know how I’ve toyed with going back to work.  I’ve searched and searched to find a hobby – thank goodness I’ve found ice dyeing because I’ve really been enjoying it - to fill some of my time. 

So it seems that caring for the Grand Girl, saving the parents money and helping her with her reading and writing have been just what I needed to give my days the significance I needed.  Ok maybe a little bit too much but we won’t quibble. 

I feel very happy in this place and time in my life. 



8 comments:

  1. This made me happy. This is the best I've read in a long time- anywhere!! Yeah for you Barbara. I can't wait to join you:-) I want this part of my life to be as great...I'll keep working on it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. It's wonderful to be in a place where you feel fulfilled. Who knows how major a part you may play in the grand girls life in years to come. Some things are so much more important than making money. I'm glad the grand girl has you in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you, Barbara. It sounds like your little sweetie was the prescription you needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so nice. You are having a wonderful impact by caring and helping. I am spending significant amounts of time with my grandson this summer--full time every other week. It's been hard to carve out that quiet time. Because of things going on in his world, he wants to have attention all the time and that is such an energy drain for me. I have been making the effort to carve it out though -- for both our sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so good to here, Barbara. I love the picture as you know, lol. I have a wonderful time with my granddaughters but wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. Love them dearly, but they wear me out. I need at least a day to recover after one of their visits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, this is great. My daughter plans to care for her grandson when his mom goes back to work in a week or so. She is very pleased with the arrangement. Glad you had a good holiday. Yes, you were/are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grands wear me out but they bring us so much joy and entertainment, it's worth it.
    And it goes by so fast!
    And now I am off to see what ice dying is

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were a TOTAL cutie in Junior High! Why do we never understand this at the time?

    ReplyDelete