Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Friday, July 29, 2016

Health Bits and Tips

I ran across two health related articles this week that I found interesting and wanted to share with those of you who might want to know.

Regarding Hives:  When I was originally researching the internet to see what the rash I had was, I decided it was hives by process of elimination.  I came across a classification of hives known as chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU) but decided not to have that because they don't know what causes it or how to cure it for good.  I read this post about Vicki Lawrence (Mama on Carol Burnett) and her diagnosis of the same thing.  Aww Man.  I don't want an incurable problem.  I already have enough incurable problems in my life - like poverty!!! But if you are interested in knowing more about this hives condition, read here.  

Regarding Diabetes: "Diabulimia is an eating disorder which may affect those with Type 1 Diabetes.  Diabulimia is the reduction of insulin intake to lose weight.  Diabulimia is considered a dual diagnosis disorder: where one has diabetes as well as an eating disorder.  While diabulimia is generally associated with the use of insulin, an individual with diabetes may also suffer from another eating disorder as well.  (National Eating Disorders Association).

This is a story of a young girl with these two problems and the mistakes made along the way.  (Telegraph).

Well if that didn't bring you down .....

Seriously this is just an FYI post.  Not everyone will be interested and that is fine. Both were things I needed to know so I shared.





7 comments:

  1. Oh, Barbara! There's always something! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the truth. My sister swears that every time I tell her about a sickness she gets it. Me - I stay permanently in denial.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very, very much for the link to CIU. I've suffered with hives for several years and doctors seem to think its stress and nerves. Now I have some information to take to my doctor. And I'm not as crazy as they think. LOL

      Delete
  2. That is interesting about Vicki Lawrence...she is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it feels acceptable if someone well known has it, but I am more comfortable accepting it now.

      Delete
  3. Interesting indeed. I've been reading the book How Not to Die by Michael Greger and Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes without Drugs and have found both to be life changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've heard of these books. I'll have to check the library. I get angry when I deal with this diabetes sometimes. I don't want to have to change my whole life. But, each time I make a little suggested change, it does get better - it's just fighting that inner spoiled child that does not want to be told what to do. Not easy for a 66 year old grandma to say.

      Delete