Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Saturday, July 30, 2016

Some Days I Really Appreciate My Life

I hear the thunder outside and I feel so warm and cozy inside.  I love the rain.  It is so pretty to watch the leaves on the trees from up in my little tree house feeling home.  I do have my latest ice dyed shirt in the dryer so I'd better head down there before it starts raining to hard.

I took all the sheets and blankets downstairs to wash after my visit from the Grand Girl, my BFF and my Grand Dog.  I had intended to hang them out.  I do love sheets hung on the line.







I am loving the quiet in my house.  I find I often turn on the TV for company. Not so today.  The quiet is glorious.  I love that Grand Girl but boy oh boy does she talk.

I really need to work in my yard.  Not just because things need tending-to but because I miss that bonding I have with my yard.  I walk.  I look.  I pick something up.  I move something from here to there.  I pick a few deadheads.  I water a little.  I take a few pictures.  Nothing special, but very fulfilling.

The Grand Girl and I took everything out of the fridge and scrubbed it this week. Sure was nice having someone low to the ground to get those lower shelves.  We had a little trouble getting the trays back on the door and almost lost a load of salad dressings and mayonnaise but we caught it without a breakage.  There were still a little too many crumbs left in the slide groves for the bottom drawers for my liking, but I didn't want to go behind her and have her think her hard work wasn't appreciated.  I'll just get to those one weekend when she is not here to see.
Have you seen the post on Facebook about wanting to refold the towels after the kids help you?  Haha.  That is how I felt about those grooves with the crumbs. How are there crumbs in my ice box anyway?  I'm a grown woman for goodness sake.

The Grand Girl and I went school clothes shopping.  Her parents are pretty relaxed about the clothes they buy.  No name brand or fancy outfits.  However, the Grand Girl is turning into a clothes horse and really wants glitz and glam.

I think I may be part of the blame for all the princess and fairy outfits I bought her over the years.  Maybe they have influenced her current style.  All I know is that I kept saying no to all the shimmer and shine.  And what is the shimmer and shine doing in the school clothes department anyway?  Next thing I know 6 year olds will want to wear lingerie to school.  Nope not having it.  She's just lucky I did buy saddle oxfords.  Haha.  Remember them.

I also remember when we bought school clothes and put them on layaway.  Three little girls - poor mother.  I remember waiting and waiting to bring them home.  It was like Christmas again.





18 comments:

  1. You've touched on so many points today, Barbara. I smile every time you talk about your little grandgirl. The talking is incredible, isn't it? We have two who visit at the same time. The quiet when they leave screams at us for the first few hours.

    I always buy clothes for the girls too, after consulting with their mother. No glitz here either.

    What's the point in having kids help if you change things in front of them? I find I have to hold myself from doing it hough.

    It's too hot here to do much in the garden, except watering the vegetable patch. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a younger Grand Girl who just turned 3. I'll be honest. I can not take both of the girls at the same time. It is like being inside of a tornado.

      Delete
  2. Saddle shoes are back in style again? I didn't know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if they are in style but I did see some. Hahaha. Someone's warped sense of humor. I remember trying to run in those things ... it was like concrete bricks on your feet. Or at least I blamed it on the shoes.

      Delete
  3. We got through school on hand-me--downs, rummage sales and lay away. And we learned to sew too. Those were the days. I miss sewing. Gave my machine to my oldest granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the oldest of the sisters and cousins so I pretty much got new - though nothing fancy. My sisters still tell me that I owe them because they had to wear my handme downs. My sisters and I still share clothes.

      Delete
  4. Barbara...glad to have found your blog again! And happy to see you enjoying a nice visit with the Grand Girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so good to hear from you. I've missed you. Hope all is well.

      Delete
    2. It is! Thanks! I'm back to blogging. :)

      Delete
  5. I love days when I feel good about my little world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the happiness we all search for.

      Delete
  6. My mother was all about the sensible shoes for back to school. I suppose I should give her proper credit for my healthy feet at this stage of my life.
    My grandson talks and talks and most of the talking is questions that he wants me to answer. Sometimes I think my head will explode. His sister made up the "quiet game." The object is to not say anything because then you lose. He only plays it with her though, never me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to the exploding head. No uh huhs for her. She wants your attention and a serious answer. I was thinking maybe it was me. Glad I'm not alone.

      Delete
  7. My ten year old granddaughter was giving her mom a hard time when they went back to school shopping. I told Amelia that she better get ready...the teen years are ahead. And six year old Margaret never saw a sequin she did not like.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never go through the teenage shopping experience again. Hahaha. The Grand Son has to wear uniforms and there are still odds and ends he wants to be cool. Since Margaret like the sequins too, it must be a generational thing but I don't recall any advertisements for that type of clothing. I must be subconsciously ignoring it.

      Delete
  8. I am so glad to hear the above comments about the constant talking and interaction being exhausting. I love my 2 and a half grandgirl soooo much but she talks nonstop and is constantly on the go. When she leaves, I just want to sit in the quiet and do nothing for awhile but then I can't wait for her to visit again! Your post and description of your home resonates with contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute dogs. Even cuter Grand Girl. Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, layaway. I always had my back to school in layaway. What a memory, thank you for that.

    And is there anything better than a quiet day with rain and a good book or tv show you've been dying to see?
    I always have so much to do that I don't often get those. But today I decided to let it all go and be lazy. I watched an old movie from the 40s and said to my husband, "do you feel guilty?" He agreed he too felt the same but we were determined to be lazy today. It rained off and on and it felt good once we could get past the guilt.
    The work will all be there tomorrow we kept telling ourselves.

    ReplyDelete