Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Friday, August 19, 2016

Ice Dyeing Socks for the Grand Son

The Grand Son and I ran to Target to pick up a few things.  I notice he had on some wild yellow socks.  I asked him if he'd like me to ice dye some socks for him and he thought that was a great idea.  So we picked up a bag of 9 socks.  I brought them home with me and put them to soak in the  preparation solution.

While they were soaking I starting looking through my colors to see what he might like.  I texted him but he didn't text me back in time.  Thirty minutes later I pulled them out and started twisting and folding them.  I tried to get each in a little different type fold with 3 or 4 pairs in a scrunch pattern.

Here are the baskets:



The blue basket are the scrunched socks and the other two contain folded and twisted socks.  I put a different color on each pair of socks but because of their proximity to each other, there will be a lot of bleed.

I usually put the dye on top of the ice, that is the normal way to do it.  But, because the area I was working with on each pair of socks was so small, I decided to sprinkle the dye on first, then ice.

When you do something differently from the recommended way, you take your chance.  I figured worst case scenario I would buy him another bag of socks.

Another thing I did wrong was to forget to put my dyeing shirt on.  I have a dark purple tank that I wear to die.  That way only one shirt gets ruined.  So now I have blue on my red tee shirt.  Supposedly it washes out if you do  not soak it  in the preparation solution first.  We'll see in a minute.  If not, I'll just try a new experiment dyeing a red tee with blue dye.  Hahaha.  You've got to roll with the punches in life.

I also have a couple of blue fingers that did not wash clean.  Not sure how I managed to make such a mess except that I was working with small amounts of fabric/socks.

I still have bandanas to do.  They are even smaller and thinner so I was anticipating problems there.  These socks are a good experiment.  After I see the results on the socks I will have a better idea how to proceed with the bandanas.

I'll wash the dye out of the socks tomorrow afternoon and finish the rest of the process.  Then I'll post the results.


12 comments:

  1. Hope it works out for you. You like to experiment obviously. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I think one of the things I like about ice dyeing is that I can use any fold any way I want and can choose any color I want. Sometimes it comes out so lovely and other times, not so much. It is a good little hobby for me.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see the socks when they are finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are outrageous. I took several pictures during the process so it will be fun to show the whole process.

      Delete
  3. Ooo. Good idea. I notice lots of colorful socks lately. Can't wait to see your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the Grandson wears a white polo and khaki pants to school. The socks are his way of being an individual.

      Delete
  4. Great fun and something he will remember. Laughing at your exuberance with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are going to start avoiding you for fear you will strip their clothes to ice dye them. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun, good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been listening to my phone calls. If someone calls to say they are coming over, I tell them to bring something white for me to dye. LOL.

      Delete
  6. I love this, and can't wait to try it! Looking forward to seeing your results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are having so much fun ice dyeing. As for your shirt - no problem, just ice dye it!! Just remember because it's not white to start with, your shirt color will influence your finished color. I hope you will post your results. Would love to see his new socks! Lynda

    ReplyDelete