Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Monday, August 22, 2016

Lots of Ice Dyeing Pictures

Here I am in my designated dye shirt and my required rubber gloves. 



This bucket contains the preparation solution.  All items must be soaked in the solution for 30 minutes before they can be dyed.  This helps the dye adhere to the fabric. I'm soaking some yellow pillowcases here to see what happens when they are dyed.  




Then as you saw before, the tubs are loaded with the items to be dyed and then covered with ice.  On the shelf you see a few of the jars of dye that I used. 




Since teenage boys are not good at matching socks, I wanted to make a hand full of the socks as mix and match so they all look pretty similar.  I did end up dying them a second time to add more colors.  The red dye is a fabric hog and will take up much of the space.  




This picture gives you a good idea of the different colors and the different ways the socks were folded/twisted.  This is about 24 hours after the dye was put on. 


Next comes the washing and washing and more washing until the water runs pretty clear.


Then the socks are soaked in very hot tap water and Dawn soap for 30 minutes.


The basket above is then poured - soap and all - into the washing machine and washed with very hot water. Then dried in the dryer to lock in the dye and voila.... Ice Dyed Socks. 





They passed approval with the Grandson.  Apparently Tie Dye is back and he wears unusual socks as his signature.  

I don't know if you ever watched Bones with tv characters Temperance Brennan and Seeley Booth but I always appreciated that Seeley wore wild belt buckles and crazy socks to offset his FBI suit appearance.  

So that's it.  Ice Dyeing.  The Daughter has requested some thin socks for herself to wear with tennis shoes.  She's a pink girl so I'll have to see what dyes I can use for her. 



16 comments:

  1. Great job. I admire your determination and creativity, Barbara. I never finish craft projects. I so admire anyone who does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really guilty of buying all the tools and items for a hobby and then leaving them on the craft table until the next hobby strikes me. This one seems to work for me. It takes a lot of short periods of time and the tool (tubs, bowls, dye, etc.) are all light and easy to move around. That helps keep me going.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I restarted a new blog. You have been very busy dyeing! Very nice. I didn't know about the ice step. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping myself supplied with ice is a little bit of a hassle since I don't have an ice maker and have to buy bags from the store which are heavy. But that is the hardest/heaviest part of the dyeing process. If you ever decide to try, I can tell you where I took the on-line course. It was so worth the money -- to me.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm going to need a new closet or storage unit to house my shirts. I love them but I now have many more than I need. Thinking about building a lemonade style stand in the front yard and selling to people off the street.

      Delete
  4. Really nice results. I can see why these would be popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like doing pillow cases. They are a good size to handle and I can play with the different colors to see what I like combined together. Some of my color combos are pretty nice, others .... not so much. LOL.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! I don't see a big difference in the style of the sock dying, though. Does it really make a difference if they are folded or twisted? Your grandson is going to enjoy these socks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a whole group of ladies from the class who are making the most beautiful mandalas. The folds and twists, rubber bands and clips, influence where the dye attaches or leaves a design mark. It's pretty interesting and pretty hard when you get into the fancy stuff. I have not gotten into the mandalas yet. I haven't tired of my simple dye jobs.

      Delete
  6. Grandson's friends may be knocking on your door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter keeps thinking of her friends I need to make a gift for. Hahaha. Most are her childhood friends and I am glad to do it.

      Delete
  7. Man, those socks are WILD! And I believe wild socks are in fashion right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Wild Socks are in style now or so the Grand Son told me. My daughter wants a pair now and she is 40 so I guess they are good for all the groovy folks.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful job. I thought he would like them. My granddaughters surely would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. If I go into mass production, I'll send some your way.

      Delete