Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Monday, September 5, 2016

Ice Dyeing and the Price of Drugs

Thanks for all the compliments on my ice dyes.  I opened an account on Etsy and listed a dozen items - a little of everything I've done.  I don't have any idea if they will sell.  (Thanks Peg for the nudge)  I priced most of the summer tops just enough to pay for my out of pocket and that's fine if I only recoup what I've already spent on my "Hobby".

You've got to be careful when you choose a hobby because some can be really expensive.  This one is not really expensive but when your retired, everything is expensive.

Speaking of.... We are all in agreement about the price of drugs.  I can't help but believe that society has a whole will force a change.  Remember when mortgage loans were at 20+%?   People stopped buying houses and we eventually  had a crash in the housing market.  You can't out price the economy of the nation and make a sale.  Whether it is wanting a new house/car or needing a drug for your health, you can only buy what you can buy and we Baby Boomers can't buy a whole heck of a lot and eat too.  'Nuff said.

Here are a few t-shirts I was playing with.  I over dyed tees that had graphic designs.  You'll note I come out with a lot of the same colors.  What I didn't realize when I was first buying my dyes is that the colors will break down to their basic color - so 3 shades of yellow are always going to be yellow.




I also dyed a long, thin 100% silk scarf 
and tied it on a hat I already had.




Like learning anything new, it is all trial and error.

Missing the Grand Girl who is back at Mom and Dads going to school.


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Barbara. I hope it sells! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It would make me excited if someone liked my stuff enough to buy it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. www.etsy.com/shop/pixiedustdyes - I forgot to add it to my side bar. Thanks for reminding me - again.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I wish I could tie a bow that nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really just the flowy quality of the silk scarf that ties so pretty. I really didn't even know it would do that until I started playing around thinking of all the ways I could use the scarf.

      Delete
  4. Lots of time now for your hobby. Have you spoken with your doctor about being in the donut hole part of the year with your insurance. Perhaps they would be able to direct you to a service or someone who can help with medication expense during that time. You might try researching online. No doubt you are not alone in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when my late husband fell into that donut hole. It seems like such an arbitrary and annoying thing! Your ice dyes are lovely. I kind of like the monochromatic look with the graphic tee. Good luck with the business!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! AstraZeneca has a prescription savings program at no cost, and has for 35 years. If you meet their need criteria. Look it up at their website. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like the over dye on the graphic tees and the bow on the hat is really sharp. You should do well on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete