Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Sunday, March 12, 2017

Sweet Memories

I am reading It's Never Too Late to Begin Again (Discovering Creativity and Meaning at Midlife and Beyond) by Julia Cameron (author of the Artist's Way). If you have any creative leaning you might really enjoy this book.  One of the memoir instructions was to remember a taste.

I was fortunate to have great grandmothers on both sides.  When I would go to my paternal grandparents house for the weekend I would ask my grandmother to make what we called "Nutty Pudding".  This was simply chocolate box pudding with pecans.  Did you have box puddings as a kid?  I think we had them on semi-regularly occasions at home,  But this chocolate pudding with nuts was just for me - not the family - and the added nuts made it just this side of heaven.  Yes, I was a chocoholic even then. I can still taste the love and comfort it provided me. Good memories.




The second food memory is the same grandmother.  She would make me homemade fries.  She used real potatoes she cut up in long thin pieces.  She fried them and then put them in a brown paper bag and then added the salt and shook them up.  The were hot and greasy and salty and I absolutely loved them.


My heart overflows when I think back about these memories.  Do you have a good food memory?


4 comments:

  1. 😊! My grandmother made delicious bread, which was cut into thick slices, toasted over an open fire and slathered with fresh butter. I am still a butter lover.

    We were both lucky, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my. I knew only my paternal grandmother. She was a wonderful baker. I remember that she would save a little of the bread dough when she baked bread. She would fry it and then butter it and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar as a treat for the kids. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom used to make that boxed chocolate pudding too. I loved the "skin" that formed on top of the cooled pudding. It doesn't form now on today's version of that pudding, probably because it isn't heated up in a pot first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I sure do!!!! there was no instand pudding though back when I was younger, it was always cook 'n serve.

    ReplyDelete