Header

Header
Be a Pineapple: Stand Tall, Wear a Crown and Be Sweet Inside.

space



Tuesday, August 29, 2017

What comes after the adrenaline rush - Tuesday evening

I went to Kroger again Tuesday afternoon.  The parking lot was full.  I heard them say they were closing the doors behind me.  No bread still.  I just didn't know what to buy.  I was hungry and the cupboards were bare but I just couldn't think.  I looked at what others were buying.  A LOT of alcohol, flowers, and frozen foods.  What?  Alcohol I could understand if I were a drinker.  Frozen foods that said to me that all the can goods were gone and they felt secure that their power was not going to go off.  But Flowers?  Celebrations?  Altar donations?  I cannot figure that one out.

I then drove over to look at the bayou.  Maybe a little bit less than in the pictures but not enough to count.  As I headed back to the house a police car pulled me over.  At first, I thought I was just getting out of its way but it stayed with me. Then I  thought they saw my expired tags - that's a whole other story.  But NO.  I had run a red light.  I don't even know which light it was.  The cops took one look at old grandma me - one good thing about being old is you don't look guilty - and said, more or less, I'm too busy to mess with you but don't be causing the next wreck I have to attend to.

I came straight home.   Since then I have just been in some kind of jittery fog.  I can't sit still.  I can't think, watch tv or play solitaire.  I believe my mind and body are trying to shake off the fear and worry I've been through.  I feel like it's been a week since this started and maybe it has been a week from the very first warnings.

The radar for the city is clear of rain as it heads eastward except for the far, far side of town. Maybe I will sleep all night tonight.  I took a couple of aspirins. My joints are a little achy but that is to be expected after staying indoors for days on end.

Thank for riding along with me.  It's really been a trip.  

4 comments:

  1. It's going to take you some time to get over this, Barbara. Now that the worst may have passed, you need time to deal with what you've been through. Take it easy. Give yourself time. I pray you sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you left that comment on my blog, I had to come over here and see if you'd been posting lately. My goodness, you really are in the middle of it. I had not realized that you were in that area. I guess I never paid attention before. I'm sorry, and hopefully things will take a turn for the better very soon.

    Anyway, I'm very sorry to hear about all the flooding down there. I'm glad you do not seem to be in as much of a devistated area as some are, which is wonderful.

    My nephew was on his way to a missions trip to Nicaragua when he landed in Huston, and is now stuck there. They are in a hotel, and the decision has been made to come back to Oregon once they can, and not head to Nicaragua at all. In the meanwhile, their team has freed up a room by filling a room to the max, and a displaced family/or families are in the empty room(s). Since we are just getting texts in pieces, I'm not sure of the exact story, except that the hotel is full of displaced people. I guess the young people are using the crafts and toys they were taking to Nicaragua to entertain and amuse the many children who are also at the hotel now. I'm glad they can be of some help in some way.

    He sent us a movie on his phone of the palm trees swaying, and the rain pouring down, and the lightening flashing--pretty impressive!! We will continue to pray for all of you down in that area. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understandable that your nerves would be jangled. Prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I've been following your adventure in my feed reader and have been praying for you and all those in Houston. What a scary week you've had. I'm so thankful that the hurricane finally left your city. Do you have any magnesium supplements? Those might help calm your nerves and help the fear to subside. It's odd how our bodies react to fear, isn't it? (not seeing a red light). Please stay safe and get some rest. You've been through quite a shock.

    ReplyDelete